DESIGN AND DIGITAL FABRICATION OF TIMBER STRUCTURES
The workshop will involve the design and manufacture of a full-scale laminated timber structure using parametric design and digital fabrication tools.
Keywords: Geometry, lightweight structures, wooden structures, parametric design, digital fabrication, construction, prototyping.
- To learn about the advantages and limitations of commercial timber products for structural use.
- To consolidate and extend previous knowledge of geometry and structures through the design and manufacture of a complex wooden structure.
- To understand the geometric, constructive and structural implications of the decisions taken at the design level in the design of free-form timber structures.
- Learning by making. Prototypes will be designed, manufactured and verified at different scales, both of the complete structural solution and of some of the proposed joints.
- Wood as a structural material.
- Wood products for structural use. Linear and surface products. Commercial dimensions and mechanical properties.
- Complex geometries. Bending of structural timber elements. Geometric, constructive and structural implications.
- Carpenter joints by means of CNC.
- Laminated timber structures. Construction systems and geometric, constructive and structural implications.
- Carlos Martínez Criado
- José María Herranz (Chema)
- ThinkShell. Proposed workshops.
- Alberto Pugnale’s Website
- Achimmenges.net | Architecture
- Xylotek | Timber Gridshells
- CEPT Portfolio | Digital Crafts: Timber Gridshell
- Design to Production